Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

April- Organ Donor Month

I read an article by Marv Knox this evening. He wrote about April being organ donor awareness month. Sadly I didn't even know there was such a month. Now I do and I am grateful to know this. This along with our Sunday School class's prayers for a friend of a member of the class to first get a heart transplant and then survive all the complications that go along with it made me think hard. I was reading the Knox article as I fed Addie. She fell asleep and was as peaceful as ever. But the more of the article I read and the more I thought of the young lady that received her new heart the more I grieved. I am a donor and proud of it. I feel it is one of the easiest, but most profoundly life altering things you can do to help a fellow human.

As I thought more about Addie's life, my own and the simple act of becoming a donor, the words of an old hymn came to mind:

"Take my life and let it be consecrated Lord to Thee."

The words of this hymn ring differently to me when I think of my physical body upon my death. What better way to show the love Jesus has for us and that we are called to show others than to use our body to continue the life of another? Yes, I will admit there is a large part of me that is selfish in this stance. Addie's condition makes a heart transplant a very real possibility at some point in her lifetime. I don't often think about this. In fact I try not to think about it at all but tonight I was struck by it. One day Addie may rely on the tragic end of one life to prolong hers. How can I not put myself on the line for others as others have or will for Addie? Yes it is selfish but it is also, and more importantly, the right thing to do.

Marv Knox relates that organ donation is the ultimate fulfillment of Matthew 25's lesson to care for "the least of these."

I pray that I and especially Addie are never "one of the least of these" but if we are I know there are those that have made the decision to be consecrated for us.  And I consider it a privilege to stand ready to be consecrated for whomever may be the least of these upon my passing.

1 comment: